A car drives steadily along the main road to Cromford in 1961.
This huge rock originally continued across the road, cutting Cromford off from Matlock Bath except by foot.
Arkwright had a narrow passageway blasted through the rock. It was widened in 1816-18 when the turnpike road to Belper was constructed and widened again in the early 1960s.
This picture shows Cromford Tors before the blasting took place to widen the crossroads.