It was the end of the line for May Smith in 1979 – after 32 years in control of Wirksworth’s railway crossing. The system became automatic and Mrs Smith, of the railway crossing keeper’s house was no longer needed.
She moved in to the house with her husband Jack in 1947.
The house went with the job of operating the gates and signals during the day as freight and passenger trains from the town quarries passed through.
But by 1974 only freight was running.