Beware the silent killer

We are pleased that Coronation Street’s latest storyline, with Fiz left fighting for her life, is alerting people to the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Unfortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning is more than just a soap storyline.

According to the Department of Health, more than 50 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK every year and thousands more are treated in hospital.

It is likely many more victims go unrecognised because the symptoms can easily be mistaken for common illnesses such as flu or food poisoning.

Despite these dangers, a recent study by Liverpool John Moores University found that fewer than one in ten homes have a carbon monoxide alarm.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer as it has no smell, taste or colour.

It can kill you or cause lasting damage to your health.

The only way to fully protect yourself and your family is to have an carbon monoxide alarm that makes a loud noise when gas is present.

They are widely available and cost around £15.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn fully.

The most common cause of this is when a household fuel-burning appliance, such as a boiler, is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained,

For more information about how to stay safe visit www.co-bealarmed.co.uk

Karen Roe

Campaign Manager

Carbon Monoxide

– Be Alarmed! campaign