CLOWNE: Kind folk rally around for mum and son

The burned out house.

The burned out house.

0
Have your say

A community has shown true generosity after coming to the aid of a devastated young mum whose home – and all her belongings – went up in flames.

Jackie Scamp broke down in tears this week as she told how her life had been turned upside down following the “hellish” blaze.

But Jackie, 32, and her nine-year-old son Scott have been overwhelmed by the massive outpouring of public support – proof that community spirit is definitely not dead.

She said: “It’s been a nightmare few days but so many people – some I know, a lot I don’t – have been absolutely wonderful and I’d like to thank every single one of them for their support.”

Fire crews were alerted to her burning house, in Hickingwood Lane, Clowne, at about 4.30am on Sunday.

Thankfully, Jackie and Scott weren’t in the property at the time.

Firefighters from Chesterfield, Staveley, Bolsover and Clowne spent two hours battling the blaze – but nothing was salvagable.

Jackie, who has been living with friends and family since the fire, sobbed: “Me and my little boy have been left with nothing.

“We don’t have clean underwear, we don’t have pajamas, we don’t have a home – everything’s gone.”

After hearing of their plight, kind Clowne folk rallied around to help the mum and her son.

Jackie said: “I just can’t put into words how generous people have been during this hellish time.

“We’ve had donations of food, clothes and money – I just don’t know how to thank everyone.

“They’ve been so kind and it’s appreciated more than anything.”

Fire investigators say the blaze was sparked by a fault with a piece of electrical equipment in the property’s lounge.

At one point, the aerial ladder platform from Chesterfield fire station was used to fight the flames.