Fire at Bakewell Road flats in Matlock

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue emblem.
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue emblem.

Fourteen people were evacuated following a flat fire at Gateway Court in Matlock.

The fire, at the development on Bakewell Road, broke out in the early hours of Friday, October 28.

The ground floor of a three-storey block of 12 flats was well alight and 15 fire fighters and three engines were called out to tackle the blaze.

Crews searched the heavily smoke-logged building and rescued an elderly man who had was trapped by the smoke.

Volunteers from the Red Cross were also called out to help.

Crews left the scene at around 3.10am.

An investigation by the police and fire service is being carried out.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “People were trapped by the smoke but were safe in their flats due to the strong fire doors.

“The fire was quickly brought under control by the fire fighters while the first and second floors were still being searched to account for all people.”

She added: “Fourteen people were evacuated because of the fire with two people were assisted out by the fire service.”

Jacque Allen, executive director of Dales Housing which runs the flats, said: “Following the fire at Gateway Court in the early hours of Friday morning we have been out and spoken to the majority of our tenants to check on their well-being this morning. We are now helping the police and the fire service with their enquiries.”

No one was injured.