Brave youngster Izzy McCarron swung into action when her dad suddenly stopped breathing at home – kicking him hard to restart his heart.
And now the nine-year-old has been presented with a special certificate in recognition of her life-saving act.
The Chapel-en-le-Frith Primary School pupil stayed calm when dad Colm suffered an allergic reaction and immediately put the first aid skills she had been taught by her mum Debbie into action.
While Debbie phoned for an ambulance, Izzy knew that she needed to do something quick to help her dad.
“I just kicked him really hard,” she explained. “My mum taught me how to do CPR but I knew I wasn’t strong enough to use my hands.
“I was quite scared.”
Paramedics arrived shortly after and Colm was taken to hospital. Izzy added: “They said I might as well be a doctor or nurse.”
“My mum said that he was going to be going to hospital with a giant footprint on his chest.”
And Debbie was full of praise for her brave daughter. “She’s a little star,” she said. “I was really upset but Izzy just took over.
“I just can’t believe what she did. I really think all children should be taught first aid.”
She added: “He suffered an allergic reaction on the Saturday and went to hospital but was sent home and then it happened again on the Sunday. Izzy did CPR then the paramedics turned up. He had to have two adrenaline shots on the way to the hospital and he’s now been given an EpiPen and we’ve got to see a specialist.”
Thankfully Colm has made a full recovery from his ordeal, and Debbie proudly looked on as Izzy received a special certificate in an assembly at school on Friday.
Chapel Primary School headteacher Trevor Smith said: “I think everybody at the school was amazed by the courage she showed and the knowledge she had of what to do.
“We were just absolutely amazed. I’ve never known anything like it and that’s why we wanted to make a fuss of her and present her with a certificate in assembly to give her the recognition she deserves.
“It’s a good message to get across to the school as well about the importance of first aid.”