DCSIMG

Attacker must pay £1,500

Picture: Victoria Wilcox

Latest Derby Crown Court file picture - gv

Picture: Victoria Wilcox Latest Derby Crown Court file picture - gv

A deaf man is to get £1,500 compensation after being struck repeatedly by a visitor to his Chesterfield flat.

Attacker Roberto De Girolamo was ordered to pay the cash and received a two-year prison sentence suspended for two years.

Derby Crown Court heard last Thursday there had been an incident in Mojo’s Bar, Chesterfield, and Girolamo hired a taxi to take him to Duncan Bryant’s home.

He found a pole and planned to use this to smash a window, said Alex Wolfson, prosecuting. But Girolamo attacked Mr Bryant who suffered a cut head and ear, a black eye and bruises.

After the incident in October, Mr Bryant said: “I have not lived at my flat since. It makes me feel nervous. I no longer go out at night and struggle to meet my friends. What happened made me feel awful.”

Girolamo, 49, of Fairfield Road, Chesterfield, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm. He must do 200 hours community work.

Roger Wilson, mitigating, said Girolamo cares for his 80-year-old mother, volunteers as a football coach and regarded himself as a “brilliant father”.

Mr Wilson added that Girolomo blamed alcohol.

Mr Wolfson said the victim described the incident as “a repeated attack” which began when he opened the flat door.

Mr Wolfson said it was a revenge attack for something that happened earlier in the evening.

Recorder Michael Elsom told Girolamo: “What happened when you went to Duncan Bryant’s home was absolutely disgraceful.”

But he accepted Girolamo had picked up the pole outside the flat and initially intended to use it to cause damage. Mr Elsom added: “They were not necessarily the most serious of physical injuries but he was attacked in his own home and the psychological effect seems to justify compensation.”

Girolamo was ordered to pay £500 immediately and the remainder at £100 monthly.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page