DCSIMG

Four accused in court after Killamarsh teen’s holiday death

Pictured is David Cryer, the father of Matthew Cryer who died on his first holiday in Greece. Courtesy of ROSS PARRY/SWNS.

Pictured is David Cryer, the father of Matthew Cryer who died on his first holiday in Greece. Courtesy of ROSS PARRY/SWNS.

A long campaign to bring to justice the killers of a Killamarsh teenager – who died on his first holiday alone – has taken a major step forward.

The heartbroken family of 17-year-old Matt Cryer has fought tirelessly for almost six years to see the case brought to trial after Matt died outside a nightclub on the Greek holiday island of Zakynthos.

Now four men have finally appeared in court charged under the Greek criminal code with exposure to harm – which can carry a prison sentence of up to 20 years.

Matt’s dad David said: “This is the first time anybody has been charged or appeared in court. They are making progress which is good to see.

“At last they are going to try to do something about Matt’s case. It moves things on a little bit.

“It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we will keep fighting for him. He deserves a fair trial and that is all we are asking for.”

Matt, who grew up in Killamarsh and Frecheville, in Sheffield, with David and mum Jo Froud, died in July 2008.

Greek police wrongly claimed he had choked on his own vomit but a post mortem examination found he died of head injuries.

An inquest ruled the Sheffield Wednesday fan had been unlawfully killed after hearing he was beaten and thrown down a flight of stairs.

His family battled to get the case reopened but faced delays and setbacks.

The four accused include Charalabos Chaikalis, Andreas Rousianos, Anastasios Paraschis and a fourth man – all of whom deny the charges.

Now the Judicial Council in Greece will decide whether there is enough evidence to prosecute or to acquit the accused.

David, of Frecheville, who has organised dozens of events to raise money in his campaign for justice, will this weekend make donations to other good causes thanks to the fundraising.

The 49-year-old said: “It could be another six months before we hear anything – it could be next year by the time something happens.”

The four accused are all from Zakynthos and could also face a monetary penalty under the law if convicted.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news