DCSIMG

Shocked neighbours survive Shirebrook house blaze

Pictured is the terrace house off Sookholme Road, Shirebrook, which set on fire in the early hours of Saturday, August 2.

Pictured is the terrace house off Sookholme Road, Shirebrook, which set on fire in the early hours of Saturday, August 2.

Stunned residents have told of their relief that no one was seriously injured after a blaze erupted at a home on a row of terraced properties.

The house off Sookholme Road, Shirebrook, burst into flames and smoke about 1.45am, on Saturday, August 2.

Firefighters battled the blaze into the early hours but have since stated that no one is believed to have been seriously injured.

Neighbour Marek Ciscon said: “I was in the kitchen and I heard something like a bang.

“I could see the fire at the back of a nearby house from my back downstairs’ window.

“I knocked on another neighbour’s door and woke them in case the blaze was going to spread.

“Everybody came out in the street and we had to stay outside for about an hour-and-a-half before it was all made safe.”

Firefighters from Bolsover, Shirebrook and Nottingham’s Warsop stations were originally called out to the blaze which is believed to have started in a first floor bedroom.

Crews armed with hose reel jets, a ladder and breathing apparatus extinguished the fire and made the property safe.

A Derbyshire fire service spokesman said: “All persons involved in the blaze were accounted for and properties on either side of the house concerned were evacuated as a precaution in case the fire spread.”

Police were put on duty at the front and back of the property before an investigation could be launched this morning, Saturday, August 2, by the fire service to establish an exact cause. An ambulance also attended the fire as a precaution.

Nearby neighbour Sam Edge said: “We were woken up in the early hours of the morning. There was a concern that the fire might have been caused by gas.

“So we got our children out and weren’t allowed back in until about 5am so everyone is very tried this morning. We have relatives nearby so we were able to leave the children with them.

“We don’t know the full circumstances, but everybody seems to be fine. I don’t think anyone’s been badly injured and that’s the main thing.”

The house suffered extensive fire and smoke damage to the front and back as well as upstairs and downstairs.

Anyone with information which may help the fire investigation is urged to call Derbyshire Constabulary on 101.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page