According to NHS Blood and Transplant, between April 1 2011 and March 31 2012 –
- 3,960 organ transplants were carried out, thanks to the generosity of 2,143 donors.
- 1,107 lives were saved in the UK through a heart, lung, liver or combined heart/lungs, liver/kidney or liver/pancreas transplant.
- 2,846 patients’ lives were dramatically improved by a kidney or pancreas transplants.
- A further 3,521 people had their sight restored through a cornea transplant.
- A record number of 674 kidney transplants from donors after circulatory death took place and accounted for one in four of all kidney transplants.
More than 19million people have joined the NHS Organ Donor Register to date, to join them, visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Alternatively, you can call the NHS Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or text ‘SAVE’ to 84118.