FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to take care during the upcoming traditional pancake extravaganza, Shrove Tuesday.
Traditionally Shrove Tuesday marks the beginning of Lent, when hundreds of people throughout the country make pancakes.
Group Manager, Steve Helps from Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service, Said:
“Making pancakes can be lots of fun for the whole family and they certainly can be delicious. However, over 50 per cent of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen so please take care, especially when cooking with hot oil.
“By following some simple safety tips you can keep you and your family safe from fire.”
He says that when using a frying pan or cooking with hot oil, remember to never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on. Do not move the pan if it is on fire and never throw water over it. Don’t tackle the fire yourself and call 999 at the earliest opportunity.
“Finally remember, when you have finished cooking, make sure that all appliances are turned off and the cooking area is clear,” he added.
“A working smoke alarm will greatly increase your chances of escaping unharmed. Have a plan and follow it – know exactly which way you will leave the house, and know where you will go.”
For further advice on fire safety visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk, www.facebook.com/firekills or
call the Community Safety team on 01332 771221.