Cafe to be demolished

AFTER 43 years it was announced that Matlock’s Lido Restaurant was to be demolished to make way for possible redevelopment of the site for retail purposes.

This photograph was taken by Mercury photographer Ron Duggins in 1982.

The Lido Restaurant occupied the site now used for Nationwide Building in Bank Road and Wilkinson’s store.

The Lido was considered such a major development that the official opening in May 1938 was regarded in the press as ‘the most important day in the history of Matlock.’

But over the years popularity declined as rival leisure facilities opened in nearby towns. The restaurant, after a few years as a nightclub, was in difficulty and, far from being a money spinner, was losing money.

In the 1970s the new owners, Derbyshire Dales District Council, decided to roof over the outdoor swimming pool.

The restaurant buildings, which also housed the main entrance, were then demolished .