These views of Dale Road dating from around 1902, were sent in by Ashover resident John Chatfield.
The views are still easily recognisable today, with the turrets of the Olde English in the background of the picture.
Henry Barnwell, whose shop is visible on the left hand side of the first photograph, moved to Matlock from Warwickshire and founded the family business in 1876.
The shop that bore his name was still advertising in the trades directories as selling jewellery, watches and China in 1916, but the shop became a bank shortly afterwards.
After Henry’s death his widow Hannah, his second wife, started running the shop, and when she died Henry’s son Harry took over the business.
The Barnwells were all members of the Matlock United Reformed Church.