This photograph shows Miss White’s Woodlands School of Bakewell Road, in Matlock.
The picture was taken in the 1940s and the school can be seen in the background.
The picture shows smartly dressed pupils and teachers including one teacher in the centre who is posing with a small dog on her lap.
Woodlands School opened in 1925 or 1926 with three pupils. Miss Winifred White was the Headmistress
The family home provided space for a few pupils and Miss White’s original intention was not to exceed a maximum of twelve. However, over the next few years the numbers increased steadily to forty girls and boys aged from five years upwards supervised by up to four teachers.