Banned Chesterfield motorist with 60 driving offences is threatened with jail

Pictured is Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Pictured is Chesterfield magistrates' court.

A banned motorist with 60 driving offences to his name has been warned he could face custody if he continues down the same road.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, January 13, how Graham Turner, 54, of Queen Street North, Whittington Moor, Chesterfield, had to be chased by police before he was brought to justice for his latest five offences.

Prosecuting solicitor Rod Chapman said: “Officers were on patrol when they did a check on a Rover vehicle which showed it had no official keeper and no MOT and they used their sirens and lights to try and stop the vehicle.

“However, the vehicle didn’t stop and they pursued it and again used their blues and twos but it continued.

“Police summoned assistance from another police car coming in the opposite direction and there was contact between this car and the Rover that brought it to a stop.”

The defendant had been doing mechanical work on the Rover for another person, according to Mr Chapman, when he was caught driving the car on November 15, last year.

Turner pleaded guilty to driving the Rover without the consent of the owner and causing damage to the vehicle.

He also admitted driving without insurance, failing to stop for police and to driving without a test certificate and while disqualified.

The court heard how Turner had also recently been sentenced to a community order with rehabilitation for an offence which post-dated the November 15 offences.

Defence solicitor David Gittins explained that he has been making progress under this community order and urged the court to spare Turner from custody so he could continue with efforts to change his ways.

Magistrates sentenced Turner to a 20 week custodial sentence suspended for two years for the five offences on November 15, last year, but warned that any re-offending would result in prison.

Turner was also banned from driving for three years and he was ordered to pay £85 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.