COLUMN: Don't let paperwork leave you puzzled

The scenario: '˜I have been sent a form to complete and return to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). What should I do?'

Friday, 5th May 2017, 11:52 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:36 pm

Roger says: This happens frequently and not just for the completion and return of forms sent by the DWP.

Often letters will be sent simply asking for information or informing you of a decision that has been made in respect of a benefit claim, a debt, a housing issue or a parking fine.

The letter may be asking that you do something or it may be in response complaint about your work or the local authority.

It is crucial that you act as soon as possible. Usually the letter will have a date by which you are required to return the form or take action as detailed within.

Failure to do so within this time limit may affect the options you have open to you or result in any benefits paid to you being stopped.

The implications in not acting on time can potentially have far reaching consequences.

If you are not sure how to respond to the letter or would like help to complete a form call our telephone advice line or come in and see us in person as soon as you can.

This will enable us to have sufficient time to help you to take the next steps and if necessary allocate you an appropriate appointment within the time limit so that we can give you the best possible advice in taking your enquiry forward.

Citizens’ Advice Derbyshire Districts offers free, confidential and independent advice on any subject and you can call in to see us in person or contact us by telephone.

It has offices and advice sessions throughout the area.

Alternatively, you can call 0300 4568390 on weekdays from 9am to 4pm.