Derbyshire firefighters call on residents to check smoke alarms following serious house fire

Residents in Derbyshire are being reminded to check their smoke alarms work, following a serious house fire yesterday which left two people in hospital.

Saturday, 20th March 2021, 1:26 pm

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service found that the cause of a serious house fire that led to two being taken to hospital was due to the property not being fitted with smoke alarms, following an investigation.

Firefighters were called to the blaze on Church Hill in Etwall, Derby at 3.20am yesterday (March 19).

The two occupants, who were already out of the detached house when crews and police arrived at the scene, were taken to hospital for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Derbyshire firefighters are calling for people to ensure they have working smoke alarms following a serious house fire which led to two people being taken to hospital. Credit: JEAN-PHILIPPE KSIAZEK/AFP via Getty Images.

Station Manager Lee Williams said: “Firefighters attended a house fire in the early hours of Friday morning which led to two people being taken to hospital for the effects of smoke inhalation underlining just how serious this fire was.

“The fire investigation has determined that this was an accidental fire with the most likely cause being combustible items left too close to a naked flame.

"Unfortunately there weren’t any smoke alarms fitted in the property which would have given the occupants early warning that a fire had broken out in their home.”

He urged residents to make sure their smoke alarms work and are tested weekly.

The station manager continued: “Working smoke alarms really are life savers.

"In the event of a fire they will alert you and your family of the fire, giving you vital extra time to get out and to a place of safety.

"Once out you should immediately ring 999 and most importantly, you should stay out of the property.

"If your home doesn’t have smoke alarm, please make it your priority to fit them as soon as possible.”

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service also advised people to make sure they use a fire guard to protect against sparks from hot embers, when lighting an open fire and also the dangers of keeping logs and other combustible items close to naked flames.

Logs and fuel should be stored away from the fire with the surrounding area kept clear and residents should make sure the fire is out before going to bed at night or when leaving the house.

In the event of a fire residents should get out of the burning property and call 999.

A message from Phil Bramley, Derbyshire Times Editor

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper.