Dog is on death row after vicious attack in Chesterfield

Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

A desperate pet owner is waiting to find out if his beloved Staffordshire Bull Terrier is to be killed after it ripped a neighbour’s leg apart.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Tuesday, December 1, how Paul Taylor, 54, of Station Road, Whittington Moor, Chesterfield, had been trying to break up a dispute between two women when his dog Taz shot out of his flat and attacked one of them.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said: “Neighbour Sherrie Saunders was arguing with another female resident in a public area outside Mr Taylor’s flat and having heard the commotion he opened his flat door to separate the women.

“All three ended up in a pile and at that point the dog ran out and clamped its jaw down on Sherrie Saunders’ right leg and ragged it about for a couple minutes.” Another women described the dog shaking Sherrie Saunders’ leg and there was blood everywhere. There were two large lacerations through the skin, tissue, muscle and to bone and part of the calf muscle was hanging out.”

The court heard how the complainant had to be hospitalised with a shredded calf muscle and she will need plastic surgery.

Mrs Allsop revealed Ms Saunders was left scared to return home after the attack in August and she could barely walk and had to be heavily medicated.

Taylor told police Taz had previously been owned by a drug addict or dealer and it was possible the dog had been mistreated. Police have temporarily placed Taz in kennels and the CPS has applied for the dog to be destroyed.

Taylor, who has previous convictions, pleaded guilty to being the owner of a dangerously out of control dog that caused an injury.

Defence solicitor Julie Page said: “He got involved as a peacemaker and if Mr Taylor had shut the door behind him none of this would have happened.”

She added that Taylor has since been without his dog for five months and is desperate to get Taz back.

Magistrates adjourned the case before sentencing and deciding on the dog’s future on December 3.