Derbyshire family issue bed safety warning after toddler almost chokes to death
A Kirk Hallam family are warning of the dangers of lift-up base beds - after their two-year-old son almost choked to death on the lifting loop.
Buddy Ancliff was found unconscious hanging from a bed base at home by mum Charlotte Hames.
The Ottoman frame beds have lift-up bases hinging either at the headboard end or one side to provide a large hidden storage space.
Buddy became trapped in a loop and was found hanging by Charlotte.
He remained in hospital overnight to assess possible injuries but is now back at home where he has made a full recovery.
Charlotte, 30, said: “I was in the bathroom and thought Buddy had gone quiet so I shouted up to him but got no response.
“I had a gut instinct something was wrong so rushed to our bedroom where he’d been playing and found him hanging by his neck from the bed’s lifting loop.
“He was blue in the face and not breathing – I was frantic.”
Buddy’s dad Anthony, 37, was at work during the incident. He said: “Our children mean everything to us and we couldn’t imagine carrying on if anything had happened to Buddy.
“That’s why we want to warn other parents about the potential danger caused by these lifting loops and remove them – don’t take the chance.
“We don’t want anyone else to go through what we’ve been through this week.”
The couple also have a four-year-old son Jesse James and 11-week-old daughter Primrose.
Police and paramedics both attended the scene and have now passed the case to Derbyshire County Council’s trading standards team to investigate. Councillor Dave Allen said: “We’re using this example to raise awareness about the potential strangulation hazard posed to children by beds fitted with this kind of device.”