Firefighters from Matlock, Bakewell, Chesterfield and Hathersage were called out to attend a fire at a chip shop in Bakewell on Thursday morning.
The fire took hold on the ground floor of Proctor’s Fish Bar on Granby Road shortly before 10am this morning.
As part of the operation, the Cheese and Wine Emporium next door and a nearby dentist were also evacuated.
Firefighters used six breathing apparatus, one hose and foam to extinguish the fire and a ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
Damping down was completed shortly before midday and the final crew left shortly afterwards.
The police have been informed about the incident and an investigation is ongoing.