Met apologise to Ian Tomlinson’s family

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE. Undated file handout photo issued by City of London Police of Ian Tomlinson as Scotland Yard has apologised to the family of Ian Tomlinson, who died after being pushed to the ground by Pc Simon Harwood during protests in 2009, as the force confirmed it has reached an out-of-court settlement with his familyPRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Monday August 5, 2013. See PA story POLICE Tomlinson. Photo credit should read: City of London Police/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE. Undated file handout photo issued by City of London Police of Ian Tomlinson as Scotland Yard has apologised to the family of Ian Tomlinson, who died after being pushed to the ground by Pc Simon Harwood during protests in 2009, as the force confirmed it has reached an out-of-court settlement with his familyPRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Monday August 5, 2013. See PA story POLICE Tomlinson. Photo credit should read: City of London Police/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

The Met Police has apologised “unreservedly” to the family of Ian Tomlinson and reached an out-of-court settlement over his death at the G20 protests in London in 2009.

Mr Tomlinson, who lived in Matlock until he was 17-years-old, was struck with a baton and pushed to the ground by then-PC Simon Harwood while walking home.

Mr Tomlinson’s widow and seven of his children and step-children had pursued the compensation claim. The amount will remain confidential.

In a statement, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Maxine de Brunner said: “I apologise unreservedly for Simon Harwood’s use of excessive and unlawful force which caused Mr Tomlinson’s death, and for the suffering and distress caused to his family as a result.”

The statement also said that all litigation between the force and the Tomlinson family had been resolved.

Mr Tomlinson, a 47-year-old newspaper seller, collapsed minutes after being struck with a baton and died of internal bleeding. It was later found by an inquest jury to be an unlawful killing.

Though Mr Harwood was acquitted last year of manslaughter, he was later sacked by the Met Police for gross misconduct.

Ms de Brunner said: “I take full responsibility for the actions of Simon Harwood on 1 April 2009. His actions fell far below the standard we expect from our officers. I accept the finding of the inquest that Mr Tomlinson was unlawfully killed.”

She went on: “The commissioner also apologises to the family for ill-considered comments made in the media in the immediate aftermath of Mr Tomlinson’s death which served to distract attention away from the investigation into the death.”

Mr Tomlinson was caught up in the G20 demonstrations in the City of London as he walked home in April 2009.