A win and a draw for Derwent 1sts

Share this article

Leicester 0 Derwent 0

With the recent cold snap causing havoc to recent fixtures, Derwent played twice over the weekend to try to relieve the congestion.

First, they made the trip to third-placed side Leicester, and made the better start in difficult conditions causing Leicester to play on the counter, Ash Vaughan, Steve Langrick and Richard Wildgoose all going agonisingly close.

The second-half saw Leicester come back into the game, but again no one could find the finishing touch and the points were shared.

Derwent 3 Nuneaton 0

Part two of the weekend saw Derwent play their first home game since early December.

Nuneaton, who had pushed Derwent to the wire in the previous fixture, were expected to prove a tough opposition, especially as Derwent were without the services of top scorer Ben Everett-Li.

Steve Williams was called up from the bench and Dean Stevens made a welcome return.

Derwent’s early pressure brought a succession of short corners, however it wasn’t until the 25th minute that they made the breakthrough.

Williams proved his worth firing the ball towards the back post, finding Richard Wildgoose for a simple deflection and a 1-0 lead.

The second-half started with Derwent in the ascendancy again, Wildgoose continually troubling the Nuneaton left back.

After several half-chances, the second goal came via the quick hands of Stevens as he ghosted through the Nuneaton defence and wrong-footed the keeper with a near post shot.

The third goal came along soon after with Stevens finishing a flowing team move - just rewards for the chances Derwent had created.

Coach Heath Roberts was delighted with the performances.

He said: “I can finally see the finish line in sight. We need just three points to gain promotion and four to be crowned champions. I would love to seal promotion in February.

“We’ve now earned ten clean sheets out of 14 and that gives us the best defensive figures in the entire league.”