First defeat of the season for Wirksworth firsts

Michael Jefferiss hit 61 but it wasn't enough as Wirksworth & Middleton were beaten by Derby Congregational on Saturday.
Michael Jefferiss hit 61 but it wasn't enough as Wirksworth & Middleton were beaten by Derby Congregational on Saturday.

Wirksworth & Middleton fell to their first defeat of the season at home to Derby Congregational on Saturday.

Put into bat W&M lost a wicket in the first over but reached the drinks break without further los at 90-1.

Afterwards Jack Pollard fell for an aggressive 54 (112-2) followed by Michael Jefferiss for a stylish 61 - 130-3.

Captain Ant Woolley then joined Stuart Poplar adding a further 61 before both were run out – Poplar for 16 and Woolley a classy 57.

After tea the visitors’ reply began steadily against yet another tight spell from Max Marshall but not losing their first wicket until the 23rd over (and 68 runs), a smart slip catch by Woolley off Jack Allen’s bowling.

Stephen Lowe then bowled Mahroof Hussain for 55, 74-2 and had another success at 106-3.

By now Abdur Rheman was looking dangerous dispatching everything loose to the boundary. Lowe took his third wicket on 162-4 and, with overs running out, a draw seemed the likeliest result. Rheman, however, was by now irresistible and with Amarjit Singh, 20 not out, he finished on 71 not out as the win was achieved with just one over left.

Ian Hardman of Callow Hall for sponsored the game.

In Division Six North, W&M seconds fell by seven wickets at Morton Colliery.

Apart from David Greatorex’s patient 40, only Peter Ashurst with 25 and James Brierley with 15 reached double figures as W&M were all out for 121. Paul Thompson took 5-28.

In reply W&M had a glimmer of hope as Harry Wanford and Jimmy Redfern with a wicket each made it 23-2 but, thereafter, Pete van Rensberg with 44 (a wicket for Brierley) and Kieron Marsh, 63 not out, made short work of the win, taking just 17 overs about it.

In Division Eight North, the third XI beat Duffield thirds by eight wickets.

Captain Keith Williams starred with the bat and ball in this convincing victory.

Joining the attack as a third or fourth change he took 5-22 to polish off the visitors’ tail as they were all out for 161 after an even contest in the first half of the innings.

After tea the thirds shrugged off an early loss as Liam Murphy made a powerful 57 not out in a century partnership with Williams who hit 54. Then Martin Kinder made an unbeaten 20 as the win was achieved with over seven overs to spare.