100 per cent start continues

Ripley Rangers u15 Ladies 0

Matlock Town u15 Ladies 8

Matlock’s first cup match of the season saw them playing away against Ripley on the Mill Hill School ground.

The opening ten minutes were tentative with both teams trying to stamp their style of football on the match.

Matlock slowly got into their rhythm of passing the ball on the ground. Millie Bettis was having a great game on the wing, getting the better of the Ripley defence time and again.

From one of these great runs, Connie Dalton received the ball, only to see her shot saved.

The Ripley keeper was proving difficult to get past, but her resolve was broken when Annie Gardom found space on the far side of the box and rifled in an unstoppable shot for 1-0. Matlock continued to produce good chances and were awarded a penalty in the 25th minute, which Connie Dalton calmly slotted in for 2-0.

Matlock were in total control at this point with the midfield of Mellissa Hill, Connie Dalton and Annie Gardom commanding the middle of the park.

Matlock’s third was scored by Abbie Barlow running onto a long ball out of defence. Outpacing the Ripley defence, she fired the ball home.

Right on half-time, Annie Gardom scored her second after fantastic work from Millie Bettis skirting around the defence before laying the ball at Annie’s feet for a simple tap-in.

Second half substitutes Tarn Buxton and Harley Wilson soon got into the tempo of the game, Tarn flying down the wing time and time again while Harley commanded the Matlock box with great confidence.

Matlock’s fifth goal was scored by Mellissa Bettis after getting on the end of a Emily Hancock through-ball.

The sixth came a few minutes later, Hellana Gill scoring after some great work down the wings. Goal number seven was scored by Abbie Barlow, a solo goal that saw her take the ball just inside her own half and drive towards the Ripley goal before hitting the ball into the top corner.

Matlock seemed to rest on their laurels and let Ripley back into the game, but the defence of Emily Marsden, Emily Hancock and Harley Wilson stood strong, and although Ripley hit the post and brought two good saves from Amber Gratton, they couldn’t score.

Katheryn Heathcote played the last 15 minutes up front and seemed to relish running at the defence. One such run produced the eighth and final goal. Her shot at goal deflected off the keeper into Hellana Gill’s path and she lobbed the ball towards goal hitting the bar and seeing the ball rebound over the line 8-0.

Matlock Ladies should now hopefully look for a good cup run to go with their 100 per cent start to the season.