Cavendish Cup semis line-up takes shape

Action from the match between AFC Lea and Holloway (blue and white stripes) and Hurst Farm United (dark blue) at Lea Green Development Centre.
Action from the match between AFC Lea and Holloway (blue and white stripes) and Hurst Farm United (dark blue) at Lea Green Development Centre.

Cavendish Cup fever took a hold for Manor Pharmacy Matlock & District Football League teams at the weekend with a host of top clubs battling it out for a semi-final date.

Chesterfield Town of the Hellison Trophies Division One took on high flying Codnor Miners of the Solar Press Division Two and Codnor took an early lead after only ten minutes with a well-taken free kick from Tom Hawkins, whose goal scoring record is second to none.

Although Town hit the woodwork four times, they did not draw level until Ash Walters equalised on 70 minutes. Ten minutes later, he found himself in front of goal, again hitting the back of the net to give Chesterfield a slim lead.

Codnor battled well but their cup hopes were dashed when Mark Clement completed the scoring in the last minute, sending Chesterfield into the semi-final.

Chesterfield Town Reserves were also in action in the Cavendish Cup but it wasn’t their day as top of the table Shirebrook Rangers booked their place in the semis with a 2-0 win.

Shirland Miners Welfare took on old rivals Riddings Rovers in their quarter final, in which Shirland missed chances, including a penalty, during the match but, after hard work, Shirland booked their place in the semi-final with a 4-2 win. Goals for Shirland were from Gareth Brown (two), Jamie Morgan and Guy Taylor. Riddings’ goals came from Chris Turner and Shane Buckerfield.

League action saw Tansley take on Matlock Sports and a fine start from Matlock resulted in them taking an early lead when Ben Harrison threaded a ball through to Callam Lytham to score. Tansley fought back with a headed goal after 20 minutes drawing the scores level but five minutes later Tansley gave away a penalty which Callam slotted home, scoring his second of the match.

Matlock kept up the pressure and made it 3-1 just before half-time with a fine solo effort from James Travis from long range.

The second half saw Tansley come out the blocks with all guns blazing, causing trouble at every turn for the Matlock defence and that pressure paid off when Tansley scored their second goal on 55 minutes. With ten minutes left on the clock, Matlock’s man of the match Ben Harrison placed a good 30-yarder into the path of Callam who bagged his hatrick making the score 4-2, More pressure from sports saw Lewis Talbot hit the post and a point blank save from Tansley’s keeper kept sub Aaron Griffiths off the scoresheet. The first game in over a month for Matlock saw them reclaim second spot in the league.

Other results were: Cavendish Cup quarter-final – Hopflower 5 Woodthorpe Rovers 2

Hellison Trophies Division One

Darley Dale 1 Miners Arms (Alfreton) 4

Solar Press Division Two

AFC Lea Holloway 3 Hurst Farm Utd 3

AFC South Wingfield 4 Wirksworth Albion 1

Cromford res 0 Black Hippo 2

This Saturday’s fixtures are:

Manor Pharmacy Cup quarter-final: Miners Arms (Alfreton) v Shirland Miners Welfare, Laburnum v All Inn, Hopflower v Chesterfield Town