Colts battle hard in a losing cause

Wirksworth Colts under eights suffered only their third defeat of the season at the hands of a very well-drilled Chesterfield side, losing 4-1.

Chesterfield got the proceedings underway and soon had Wirksworth on the back foot, Matt Thompson saving the day with a well-timed tackle and his pass upfield set the Colts on the attack.

Tom Druitt’s pass was only a whisker away from finding Liam Bednall, who would have been clean through on goal. Chesterfield took the lead on 12 minutes after a Wirksworth attack was broken up and the first time ball into the Colts area was met by the centre forward who gave Lewis Potts no chance.

The Colts have learnt a lot in this first season and one lesson is not to give up. So they rolled their sleeves up and went at Chesterfield. Liam Bednall was tormenting the full back with his skill and Tom Druitt was ferocious in his tackling.

The Colts had them pinned in their own half and drew level after the keeper punched the ball out, it fell to the feet of Tom Greenhough and he hit it on the half volley and it screamed into the top left hand corner of the goal.

It was his first of the season and the first goal Chesterfield had conceded since October.

Chesterfield were rattled by this and Colts could sense their fear. They pressed for another and again it was only last ditch tackling that prevented Colts from going in front. Chesterfield retook the lead just before the break though, another fine passing move splitting the Colts defence and this left the Chesterfield forward with a easy tap-in.

Colts changed things a little in the second half, Everest going on as did Surgey and Charlton. Tom Wain completed the subs and Colts set about pulling level. They played some nice football with only the final ball letting them down.

As with all football, pushing on means gaps at the back and Chesterfield exploited this to full effect going further ahead with a fine passing move and a drive that left Potts with no chance.

Lewis Potts’s bravery was to be his undoing as he dived at the feet of a forward. He injured his leg and Chesterfield scored their fourth.

James Colebourne replaced him and pulled off a cracking near post save while Liam Bednall whipped in a free kick that shaved the bar.

Josh Henshaw played a game way beyond his years and Simon-Owen Wallis again had a good game.

All the Colts played well but Chesterfield were the better side on the day.