Glossop North End v Runcorn Linnets - match report

Alex Byrne of Glossop North End is fouled by Martin Crowder of Runcorn Linnets
Alex Byrne of Glossop North End is fouled by Martin Crowder of Runcorn Linnets

Glossop North End fell to their second defeat of the season, with a 2-1 setback away at Runcorn Linnets last Saturday.

Linnets came into the match on the back of two good wins and for GNE it was an opportunity to consolidate on a good midweek performance away at Winsford United.

The Hillmen almost took the lead within the first minute; Jordan Goodeve saw his goal-bound shot well saved by Andy Robertson in the Linnets goal.

With GNE sitting back and conceding possession to the Linnets in their own half, it was likely to be from breakaways that any success for the Hillmen would come and that was the case on 17 minutes.

Bailey picked up the ball wide on the right and forced the ball into the net from the narrowest of angles with Robertson anticipating a cross.

As in the first half it was the Hillmen who were quickest out of the blocks as the second half got underway.

However, Lee Blackshaw will have been disappointed by his effort on goal.

Linnets then started to control the game a little better in midfield and showed some good touches as pressure began to mount on the GNE back line.

The home side were much more alert in the 63rd minute as the ball drifted out for a throw in down the left hand side.

Martin Crowder found Chris Lomax with the GNE defence caught napping and his excellent shot looped over Proctor and nestled in the far corner to level up proceedings at 1-1.

North End then went looking for the goal which would restore their lead but were thwarted by the efforts of the big Linnets central defenders.

Their profligacy was then punished moments later when, with only four minutes to play, the ball broke out from the Hillmen defence and was returned with interest by Lomax as his fine shot from outside the area found the bottom-left hand corner to ensure North End returned home pointless.