Hayloft secure runners-up spot in division two

HAYLOFT’s 3-2 win at the home of promotion rivals HOLMEWOOD MW secured them the runners-up berth and promotion from Division Two.

At the other end of the table visitors RAILWAY (Alfreton) were indebte to Jay Cooper whose first half free kick was enough to steel the points as his side overcame RAILWAY TAVERN by a single goal.

MARLPOOL UNITED still had pretentions of promotion when they entertained GALLOWS INN who are also flying high in Division Three.

Leigh O’Dowd opened up for the visitors, however, when he rose the highest to head home at the far post. The home team drew level when a shot-cum-centre from Simon Eldrick flew over the goalkeeper, and that was how things stood at the interval.

The second half belonged almost exclusively to Gallows who went on to register an impressive 7-2 win. An O’Dowd shot was deflected by Lee Hillier who went on to complete a hat-trick before O’Dowd scored again following a goalmouth scramble.

An Adam Seddon tap in and a bullet header from centre back Dave Hardy completed the scoring for the visitors; United’s only response in a disappointing display coming via Lee Fowkes.

The final whistle didn’t signal the end of the action, though, as Hardy was red carded for a strangulation manoeuvre on an opponent and skipper James Barker booked for opening his mouth and offering his own observations that were at odds with those of the referee.

The game on the adjacent pitch proved less eventful as HEANOR STAFF proved too good for SEVEN STARS; the margin of their victory 6-0. George Essex got a couple, and so did Martin Etches on his debut. Reece Cook got the other.

MARLPOOL WHITE LION maintained their thrust for Division One honours as they turned over improving CODNOR MINERS 4-0. Matt Brittle (2), Richard Groves and Richard Baggaley with a headed goal were the scorers.

CRIB are still in with a major shout too and did their cause no harm by whipping DERBY ATHLETIC 8-3.

Liam Brown gave them an early lead that Andy Calladine doubled with a volleyed goal.

Adam Nicholls weighed in with a brace before Brown scored his second to give his side a comfortable 5-0 interval advantage.

A Matt Phillips chip extended the lead after the restart before Jacob Harrison replied to ensure the visitors featured on the score sheet.

Phillips then scored the goal of the game as he drove past four defenders in a run that started around the half way line before burying his shot into the corner of the net.

As Crib took their foot off the pedal, goals from Ross Webster and Tom Joyce gave them little cause for concern and Andy Calladine completed their scoring in the closing stages.

OUT OF TOWN beat BULLS HEAD by a single goal in their cup tie; a score line that would have been more comprehensive had it not been for some cracking saves by Bulls’ goalkeeper.

HILCOTE MW eased past GLADIATORS 5-2 in their cup game.

Fixtures for Sunday,

April 1

Solar Press Cup

Jacksdale MW v Codnor Miners Arms

Shirland MW v Marlpool White Lin

Division One

AFC South Normanton v Rainbow International

Derby Athletic v Crib

Division three

Bulls Head v Out of Town

Gallows Inn v Seven Stars

Heanor Staffs v Alliance Healthcare