Late goal earns Hurst Farm a draw

Action from the match between Codnor FC (white and blue trim) and Hurst Farm United (yellow and white).
Action from the match between Codnor FC (white and blue trim) and Hurst Farm United (yellow and white).

Hurst Farm United FC 2

Codnor Miners FC 2

Hurst Farm supporters came in their droves to support their team as they entertained Codnor in this week’s table-topping Matlock and District League Division Two clash.

The two sides met at the start of the season when Codnor came out on top.

The game started at a high tempo and Codnor seemed to have the momentum going forward. Moments after a Codnor effort was ruled out for offisde, Widdowson flew to Farm’s rescue with a brilliant one-handed save to keep the scores level, but from the resulting corner, Codnor did find the breakthrough they were after and got their goal after some poor defending from Hurst Farm.

The first half was a battle and both teams were finding it hard to string passes together but the dominance changed and Hurst Farm’s pressure started to show.

After several corners and appeals from the management and players, they were awarded a penalty. Toby McClean stepped up and converted it before racing away to celebrate with the jubilant supporters, wearing a T-shirt with “why always HUF?”.

The second half brought drama, goals and controversy aplenty to keep the supporters entertained.

The two sides came back out with different tactics. Hurst Farm pressed a high line and forced Codnor to play on the counter.

After ten minutes of stalemate, both teams’ frustration started to show and Codnor’s captain, already booked, got himself a second yellow, leaving his team to face the rest of the game with ten men.

Codnor weren’t going to give up and put themselves in the lead with a lob from 25 yards. The goal seemed to spring Hurst Farm back into action.

Martyn Taylor’s hard work at the back gave them the platform to push forward but their efforts were saved by Codnor’s keeper, whose hard work had stopped Travis several times.

Ward and Haywood’s hard work came to a end when Cantrill and Owen came on as Hurst Farm changed formation.

Roose came close again before the Delap-style throw from Owen found its way to Travis and Hurst Farm got back on level terms in the 89th minute.

Hurst farm continued to press in the 90th minute and hit the post before Travis was denied again, in front of an enthralled crowd of 97.

Man of the match for Hurst Farm was chosen as Darrel Webster.

* See this week’s Matlock Mercury for a Matlock and District Football League round-up.