Matlock Topwn keeper Jon Stewart is ready to put bleak year behind him

Jon Stewart will be Matlock Town’s goalkeeper for the coming campaign.

Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 11:42 am
Updated Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 11:45 am
Matlock Town v Bamber Bridge, Jon Stewart

The former Bournemouth, Bradford Park Avenue and Boston United number one has pledged his future to the club.

“It’s great news, for me he’s the best goalkeeper in this league” said manager Paul Phillips.

“It was a frustrating time for him last season with his injury problems and other issues but he’s back and he’s raring to go.

"He’s got a big presence, both on the field and in the dressing room and if you’re going to do well in the league, he’s the type of character you need in your side.”

Stewart joined Matlock this time last year and did not concede a goal from open play in his first five competitive matches.

He was then ruled out for a month prior to Christmas for a breach of FA betting regulations and after returning to the side for a few games, he suffered a serious injury at work, which combined with the outbreak of Covid-19, ended his season prematurely.

“He’s our number one although we’ll bring another goalkeeper in on a dual registration basis to keep Jon on his toes,” Phillips confirmed.

For Stewart last season was a particularly bleak time and now he wants to some positives with the Gladiators.

As well as the ban, the club was rocked by the tragic death of midfielder Jordan Sinnott.

Then shortly afterwards Stewart was seriously injured after being electrocuted in an accident at work, he was lucky to still be alive.

“We all had high hopes when I first signed, I was happy to sign for a good club who I’d enjoyed playing against previously” Stewart explained.

“I received the ban but the club backed me one hundred per cent which I really appreciate. Then came Jordan’s death which knocked the stuffing out of a lot of the players.”

Within another couple of weeks Stewart ended up in hospital and fortunate to be alive.“I was at work and on a windy and rainy day I was electrocuted as 11,000 volts went through my body. The doctors said they couldn’t believe I was still here, nor could my family. I was in hospital for just under a week and had to take things easy for a good while after that."