Missed chances are costly for Colts

Wirksworth Colts Rovers u9s 0


Rovers, although defeated, were not second best in this contest in which they did everything but score.

After last week’s heroics, the mood in the Rovers’ camp was good and they started very brightly.

Rowan Armstrong led the line this week with Tom Greenhough on the left,Tom Drueitt on the right and Simon-Owen Wallis in the centre of midfield. Matthew Thompson and Jack Mountney were at the back and Cohen Woodward in goal.

Rovers dealt with the CJB attacks, leaving Woodward a bit of a spectator and got their own game going, putting CJB under pressure, but it was the Blues who went ahead after a breakaway caught Rovers offguard.

Aaron Walker gave Woodward no chance with a crisp half-volley. CJB tried to increase their lead but found no more gifts from the Rovers.

Woodward made two outstanding blocks and Matty Thompson tackled like his life depended on it but when he won the ball it was played out, not just kicked anywhere, and his partner Mountney followed suit, setting up good ball for Rovers. It was just the final ball that was missing.

The second half saw Rovers switch personnel, Tom Philips, Tom Hadfield Shaun Byrne and James Keogh coming on.

Fresh legs made an instant impact. Philips was chasing down every ball and Hadfield was a joy to watch as he skipped through the Blues’ defence, his effort being put behind for a corner which the Blues defended very well.

It was all Rovers now with Thompson urging his teammates forward and when Blues did break away, he dealt with every danger. Rovers won a free-kick just outside the box. This was Tom Greenhough territory and his flighted kick caused havoc with the opposition just scrambling it away.

Philips got on the end of a Hadfield pass but his shot on the turn was just wide.

Blues had not learned their lesson and again gave away a free kick just outside the box. Again Greenhough’s driven effort was cleared off the line and, from the resulting corner, the ball came out to Hadfield whose volley was inches over the bar.

Keogh too had an effort blocked, as did Byrne. Blues did break out of their half but they found man of the match Thompson in mood to let them through.

It is fair to say that it was the Blues who were glad to hear the final whistle but they played a big part in what was a very entertaining match.