Mixed fortunes for Ambergate sides

Bargate Reserves welcomed Ambergate Reserves for the first time in the weekend’s local derby in the MRA Division Two, with the conditions making for a tough game.

Both teams created few chances until Bargate managed to sustain some pressure from Darren Griffiths’s persistent long throws with Wayne Hall causing a problem for the Ambergate defence.

From the same source, Hall managed to force a low save from Dan Newton in the Ambergate goal. Hall came close again around the half hour mark as he saw his header tipped onto the bar by Newton.

The tempo of the game started to rise with Ambergate pressing high in the latter stages of the half, with Sam Pearson pressing down the right and his cross finding Shane Linthwaite, who forced a smart save from Bargate ‘keeper Shane Plunkett.

The second half started with Jamie Fraser making constant progress for Ambergate down the left hand side of the field after cutting inside on a couple of occasions, but he was unable to hit the target.

Bargate were struggling to make any chances but one fell to Dave Poplar, whose whipped free kick was again turned over the bar by Newton.

Bargate went on to force a corner against the run of play where Newton’s punch clear fell to an unmarked Wayne Hall, who volleyed home for a 1-0 lead.

Ambergate changed formation in order to push Craig Tipton forward and this was to prove decisive as Tipton thundered a shot off the post from all of 35 yards before he got another chance and slotted the ball home from close range for the equaliser.

Time was running out as Ambergate continued to press for a winner but they managed to force a corner in the last minute, from which Chris Stevenson managed to find Rob Gregory, who headed home against his former team and gave all three points to Ambergate Reserves.

It was a different story for the first team as they were beaten 7-1 at home to top of the league Rowsley Reserves. Sam Hicking put Ambergate in front from the penalty spot as a red card to defender Matt Magill after 30 minutes added to a poor performance from the side.

This weekend, the first team travel to Tibshelf in the league (2.30pm ko) while the reserves travel to Pastures Reserves in the DCFA Junior South Cup 2nd round (1.30pm ko).