Reds match report: Alfreton Town 3 Buxton 2

Alfreton town V Buxton town
Alfreton town V Buxton town

Ashley Worsfold registered a hat-trick on Tuesday night as Alfreton Town overcame a 0-2 deficit to edge through to the quarter-finals of the Derbyshire Senior Cup at a rain-lashed Impact Arena.

It was his first start for the Reds, having made ten previous appearances from the bench and he grabbed his chance to showcase his scoring ability.

Buxton had coasted to an apparently comfortable two-goal advantage by the mid-point of the first half, but once the Reds had found their shooting boots as late as the 30th minute there was only one team in contention.

A deflected shot from Lee Morris triggered successive corners n the tenth minute, with Mark Roberts’ goalbound shot having to be cleared by Leigh Franks.

Then a long unchecked run by Michael Towey in the 17th minute led to the opening goal as he slotted the ball between keeper Phil Barnes’ legs.

Six minutes later Anton Brown brought down Morris close to the by-line, the Buxton striker picking himself up to whack the ensuing penalty high into the roof of the net.

Another run by Towey in the 29th minute ended with his shot being dragged wide, but that seemed to be the catalyst that Alfreton needed and Ben Tomlinson had a shot blocked before firing wide from the rebound in the Reds’ first attack of any menace.

The hosts reduced the arrears on 36 minutes when Worsfold scored his first goal for Alfreton from close range after Josh Law’s corner had created confusion for the Buxton defence.

Worsfold then had another shot saved by young Buxton keeper John Stanway before Law’s thunderbolt deflected off a defender from Nathan Arnold’s by-line cross.

Worsfold, Arnold and Dan Bradley all had decent efforts saved by Stanway in a busy spell around the 51st minute, then ten minutes later Worsfold hit the post from the edge of the area from Arnold’s pass.

An equaliser was inevitable and duly arrived in the 64th minute, a confident Worsfold blasting Tomlinson’s cross home from the edge of the area.

An angled drive from Arnold was turned behind by Stanway 11 minutes from time, then ten minutes later Buxton were almost gifted a winner when Franks’ sloppy back-pass was easily intercepted by Jack Bradbury before two vital touches by Barnes spared Alfreton’s blushes.

The tie was decided in the 90th minute when Worsfold smacked the ball in from six yards after Stanway had parried a fearsome drive from Arnold and Alfreton will now have to travel the short distance to play Central Midlands League outfit Mickleover Royals, victors over Glossop North End in the third round.

ALFRETON: Barnes; Streete, Kempson, Franks, Brown, Law (Taylor 76), Bradley, Harriott (Meadows 62), Arnold, Clayton (Tomlinson 20), Worsfold.

Subs not used: Quinn, Franklin.

Att: 119.