Rugby registration to take place

Belper Town completed an impressive Bank Holiday double with a convincing 4-0 victory over local rivals Mickleover Sports on Monday.

Manager Peter Duffield selected an unchanged starting line up for this local derby fixture against Sports.

Chris Jones went forward on 13 minutes and nearly created a scoring opportunity from within the area but the assistant referee spotted an infringement.

Jones got on the end of a corner moments later and the ball dropped kindly for Chris Martin, however the Nailers had got into their stride early on the game and were giving Sports plenty to think about.

The Nailers came within a whisker of scoring in the 22nd minute when Shaun Tuton picked out Chris Adam and he struck the ball first time and looked certain to score until Chris Martin got the slightest of touches.

However, Belper took the lead from the corner after Richard Adams pounced on a loose ball and hooked it into the net.

Belper split Mickleover wide open in the 24th minute when Colin Marrison found Jon Froggatt with an inch perfect cross and Belper’s leading scorer made no mistake.

Belper cruised to 3-0 up in the 31st minute as a result of an excellent move culminating in Jon Froggatt’s unselfish pass to Chris Adam.

Adam’s shot flew straight to Shaun Tuton on the opposite side of the goal and he was able to steer the ball into the unguarded net.

The Nailers extended their lead in the 39th minute when Tuton fired past Martin.

Sports made two quick substitutions in the opening ten minutes of the second half, but it was Belper who looked most likely to get the next goal.

Jon Froggatt missed a great chance in the 69th minute after Simon Harrison intercepted the ball and put a low cross to Froggatt, who put his shot agonisingly wide.

The visitors had more possession as the half progressed and the Nailers occupied themselves more with containment and the occasional foray forward.

Both teams kept going at a fast pace despite the heat of a glorious afternoon but for all the possession that the visitors Scot Low had very few if any direct shots to save.