Sam Duffin produces man-of-match display as Matlock CFA defeat Derby Deaf

editorial image

Goalkeeper Sam Duffin produced a man-of-the-match display as Matlock CFA defeeated Derby Deaf 2-1 in Division Two of the Midland Regional Alliance.

Duffin showed a master class of reflex saves either side of half-time getting applause from both teams.

It was touch and go whether this fiture would even be played having seen an overnight freeze, but the game was passed by referee Mark Cooper after a late pitch inspection.

The CFA had a plenty of early first half chances with Michael Lettall having the pick ‎going close with a header just over the bar.

Jordan Evans finally broke the deadlock creating space just outside the box and seizing the moment with a quality right foot finish in the first half.

It wasn’t until the second half that the CFA grabbed their secon when Jordan Hatfield produced a moment of magic, cutting in from the right and hitting a right foot shot curling and looping into the back of the net.

Derby refused to give in and battled back to score in the second half and even hunted a late equaliser to add a little late tension on the CFA bench.

But on the final whistle the victory was secured as CFA picked up another valuable three points to maintain a healthy position in third spot in the league table.

The weather wiped out the entire Midlands Regional Alliance Premier Division fixture programme at the weekend.

However, Cromford booked their place in the semi-final of the Derbyshire FA Divisional Cup North after they knodcked out holders Bradwell Sports.

Scott Spencer and Ady Kershaw scored for Cromford as the two sides were deadlocked at 2-2, before the hosts won 3-1 in a penalty shootout with Spencer, Scott Ryder, and Ryan Smith successful from the spot.

There will be no semi-final place for Matlock United though, as a second half capitulation saw them lose 8-0 at New Mills Reserves despite the tie being goal-less at the interval.

Dean Higton, Michael Whittall, and Richard Woolsey were on target as Wirksworth Town Reserves hit four without reply at AFC Rocester to make it two wins on the bounce.