Seven up for Hurst Farm

Hurst Farm United FC 7

Chesterfield Town Res 4

Hurst Farm United’s form continued on Saturday as they took on a very young Chesterfield Town reserves side.

Teams seem to be struggling to put a run together at the minute with the pitches not allowing teams to play attractive football.

But HUF are proving they have what it takes to scrape together back-to-back wins to give them a real chance in all competitions.

The supporters weren’t going to wait long for the goal action to start. Martin Travis came close in the first minute and Hurst farm looked hungry to get the early goal.

That came in the fifth minute when neat work from both wingers set Travis up for a volley into the bottom corner. The pitch wasn’t doing either side favours but the wind helped Town’s keeper’s kick, which beat United’s defence and found his striker only to be denied by Martyn Taylor.

The resulting corner produced the second goal and got Town level as United’s defending lapsed. United fell to sleep and got caught with the huge kick again moments later when this time the striker got the better of the defence and produced a shot that Widdowson couldn’t get near.

Hurst Farm needed a spark to get them back into the game and found it. Adam Flint produced what looked to be the goal of the game with his superb solo effort. The winger came off his flank to collect the ball in his own half and ran at Town’s defence.

After beating two players, he then fired a shot which flew into the top corner and put Farm back level. The game turned scrappy and United looked to grab a half-time lead when Darrel Webster found the ball at his feet in a goalmouth scramble and smashed it home, but this wasn’t to be and Town’s resilience got them level on the stroke of half-time at 3-3.

United came out all guns blazing and didn’t give Chesterfield a chance in the first ten minutes, which killed the game. Travis added a second after a great move between him and Toby McClean within a minute of the restart.

Moments later, McClean completed the move – and goal – of the game. Webster won the ball from the kick-off before several passes and good link-up again from the front two gave them a two-goal cushion.

Tired legs were starting to show as McClean’s fancy footwork gave Town’s back four the slip, only to be tripped in the area.

The forward gave the keeper no chance as his shot nearly ripped the net. Town got a consolation goal from the spot in the 75th minute. United never looked troubled again and McClean completed his hat-trick with a shot which bobbled in.

United did look threatening towards the end as Jonathan Roose’s work down the left gave United’s men chance after chance but the scoreline remained 7-4 and Hurst Farm move back to fourth with a well-deserved three points.

Hurst Farm man of the match was Darrel Webster who worked hard throughout in the middle of the park.