Spireites match report: Chesterfield 0 Aldershot 0


Chestefield’s first point in three games came in an uninspiring goalless draw with Aldershot in front of just 3,968 at the Proact Stadium.

The Spireites, who lined up with an average age of 23, will be disappointed with a first half performance that set the tone for the rest of the night.

The visitors came close to snatching all three points when Sonny Bradley rose to meet a 90th minute corner before Danny Whitaker saved the home side’s blushes with a clearance off the line.

Chesterfield came into the game looking to shake off back-to-back defeats in League Two that have hampered their pursuit of the play-offs in recent weeks.

Jordan Clark and Alex Henshall made their full debuts for Paul Cook’s side after both came off the bench in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Gillingham.

Andy Scott got off to a winning start as Shots boss on Saturday in a 2-0 win against Fleetwood. Aldershot have claimed seven points from the last possible nine prior to Tuesday night’s game.

After some neat passing from the Spireites, Jay O’Shea found Marc Richards whose shot was blocked en route to goal.

Neal Trotman, who remains on the transfer list despite recent performances, made an uncharacteristic mistake to present the visitors with an opportunity they really should have taken.

The defender’s short back-pass to Tommy Lee was intercepted by Craig Reid, who rounded the keeper and slid the ball towards goal, only for Liam Cooper to clear the danger with Danny Hylton lurking.

Further confusion at the back saw Danny Rose nip in and shoot well wide of the target from a promising position.

The Shots continued to come forward and almost took the lead when Hylton forced Lee into a smart save diving low to his right from the edge of the area. The keeper was quick to gather the loose ball with a herd of attackers closing in.

Cook pushed Drew Talbot to right-back with Richard Brindley advancing forward into a midfield that at one stage boasted four teenagers. Whitaker replaced Brindley after 28 minutes to add much-needed experience.

Ollie Risser popped up to remind everyone there was still a game ongoing with a wild volley that nestled towards the back of the Karen Child stand.

Reid again tested Lee at his near post as the half-time whistle was met with a chorus of boos from the home faithful.

Jack Lester replaced Henshall at the break and within three minutes of the second half Chesterfield doubled their tally of shots from three to six, with Whitaker twice coming close before Richards saw his effort sail over.

The Spireites were coming forward with purpose and loanee Clark was next to be denied by Jamie Young in the visitor’s goal.

Trotman thought he had given the hosts the lead with a looping header that narrowly missed the target before Lester hit the side netting from an acute angle.

Peter Vincenti came even closer to breaking the deadlock moments later but his powerful drive took the slightest of deflections and went fractionally wide.

The wide man then swung in an inviting centre that both Reid and Kieron Cadogan failed to divert towards goal.

After a promising start to the second period, neither side could take control of the match.

Mark Randall replaced O’Shea in a last-ditch effort to ignite a late onslaught on Aldershot’s goal, which sadly never came.

Rose clipped a 25-yard free kick towards the top corner that Lee plucked out of the air.

Randall crossed for Richards but his volley was easily scooped up by Young before Bradley’s effort could have stolen all three points for the visitors.

Spireites (4-4-1-1): Lee; Brindley (Whitaker 27), Trotman, Cooper (c), Smith, Talbot, Townsend, Clark, Henshall (Lester 45), O’Shea (Randall 77), Richards

Subs not used: Barrington, Scully, Hazel, Wafula

Shots (4-4-2): Young, Herd (c), Forbes, Bradley, Tonkin, Cadogan (A.Morris 82), Risser, Rose, Vincenti, Reid, Hylton

Subs not used: Lancashire, McNamee, Mekki, Stanley, Hall, G. Morris

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 3,968