Swanwick PR defeat Matlock Town reserves

Lewis Mason and Dean Owen celebrate. Pic by Adam Gross
Lewis Mason and Dean Owen celebrate. Pic by Adam Gross

Goals from Dean Owen and Shane Buckerfield ensured that Swanwick continued their positive start to the season with a 2-0 win over Matlock Town Reserves.

With Swanwick Reserves having no game this Saturday, the first XI and subs again looked strong with Adam Jablonski returning in goal after absence, Shane Whitmore returning to strengthen the backline and Chris Turner starting in midfield.

Swanwick began well in a game where many would label them as underdogs.

A hardworking atmosphere was evident from the first whistle, restricting Matlock to little time and space, forcing them to play to Swanwick’s strengths. After winning the ball back quickly, Swanwick were able to vary their attacking style from slick passing or a more direct approach showing good hold up play from Buckerfield and Wilding, each allowed the Swans to use the potent threats of their wingers to cause the Matlock backline difficulty.

When in possession Swanwick winger Dean Owen looked lively from the off, striking fear into the Matlock full back with his pace and delivering high quality crosses into the penalty area.

His positive start to the game saw him grab his first goal of the season on 15 minutes with a determined follow up header after a smart save from Matlock keeper Martin Dewberry.

Swanwick continued to restrict Matlock chances and to push forward with Guy Taylor on Swans left wing delivering well throughout the first half.

It was Owen again who provided the second goal for Buckerfield after neat build up play. Owen was able to, again, beat his marker and pick out Buckerfield in space 8 yards out whose composed finish saw Swanwick deservedly lead at the half.

Matlock were clearly not used to facing a well-balanced mixture of strength, composure and well executed game plans and were relieved to hear the referee’s half time whistle with the score at 2-0.

The second half saw a more energised Matlock team who played more quickly through the thirds to reach their front men.

Throughout the second half their efforts were in vain with a well organised Swanwick defence repelling any attacks, enabling Swanwick to create chances of their own. Without question Matlock’s Man of the Match must have been their stopper, Dewberry who lived up to his role and did well to prevent any further goals from a Swanwick team who clearly deserved their first win of the season.