Wirksworth Colts hit Redwood for six

editorial image

Wirksworth Colts maintained their 100 per cent start to the Derby City League season with an emphatic 6-1 win over Redwood.

Redwood made a fist of the contest throughout and had a shot rebound from the crossbar in the opening minutes, but once Wirksworth took the lead, they showed the confidence to dominate and braces from Kyle Hadfield, Kyle Higton and Regan Cooper brought a warranted margin of victory.

Their desire gave the home side the edge and when George Frost-Gilbert bravely nodded on Sam Paisley’s initial header, Hadfield showed fine composure to dribble forwards into the penalty area and guide his shot low past the giant Redwood goalkeeper.

Higton then showed the sharpness to react to a loose ball to stab home the second goal midway through the half and just before the interval, the imperious midfielder headed home Laurence Bostock’s throw-in.

Bostock replaced Cooper as makeshift goalkeeper midway through the second half and from his first kick, Higton latched onto Josh Middleton’s pass to play Hadfield in.

Again, the talented striker was coolness epitomised as he slotted home from inside the penalty area.

Olly Prince had a left-footed volley go just wide while Joseph Potts was a constant danger with his dribbling and superb touch and Robbie Paton unlucky not to set up a goal with his pace and crossing.

With James Simmonds and Jon Hartley adding attacking intelligence from the full-back positions, there was the possibility of a landslide victory at this point.

But Liam Smith-Vidal, otherwise impeccable alongside the captain Middleton in the heart of defence, made a rare mistake to allow his man to fire in from close range and this gave Redwood heart.

Cooper was in a hurry to enjoy his time outfield and in the final 10 minutes he drew the foul from which he converted a penalty for 5-1 and then took the ball off the hard-working Matt Massey’s toes to accelerate away and dispatch a fine left-footed shot to round off the scoring.