Local cricket cup semi-final reports

All the latest from the semi-finals of the Bissenden Cup and the Hawke Trophy.

Bissenden Cup semi finals


A minutes silence was held for Tintwistle member Norman Barber who had sadly passed away in the week leading up to their semi-final with High Lane.

Tintwistle batted first on an overcast day and saw openers Rick Harris and Martyn Knight start steadily until the latter was caught behind off the bowling of Tyler Eiselt for 14.

D Weatherhead then came and went, caught at point by High Lane skipper Fred Barlow for just 3, this time off the pick of the High Lane attack – Mike McCarthy.

P Higginbottom was his second victim when he was bowled by an inswinger for 14, McCarthy (3-28) removing the remaining opener when Harris, on 25, hit a full toss to George Noon who took a stunning catch diving to his left at extra cover.

Noon took three wickets himself, removing K Davies (31), Si Barrow (0) and M Robinson (16).

M Harris played an excellent innings in the final overs, making 31 with a mix of good running and lusty blows before the returning Eiselt had him caught behind.

Luke Gray was then bowled for 14 before G Jones and M Barber closed the innings on 194-9.

In reply, High Lane suffered the early loss of Josh Hampson (6) to a stunning catch in the gully off the bowling of P Higginbottom.

Fellow opener Tom Whitney made 17 before holing out to long on as he became Martin Harris’s first victim. Harris then removed the dangerous Barlow for 13 and James McCarthy for 7 to seriously dent the Division Two side’s hopes. G Jones took two wickets himself as Josh Noel went lbw for a duck and George Medhurst made just two before edging behind.

S Barrow (3-12) then took George Noon’s wicket, as well as that of Eiselt who made a counter-attacking 21, before Martyn Knight took a leaping one-handed catch to snub out all High Lane resistance, leaving Jones to take Joe Chorlton and Barrow to complete the victory, having McCarthy caught on the mid-wicket boundary as High Lane were bowled all out for 95.


Meanwhile at Hawk Green in the second semi-final, Hayfield won the toss and elected to bat.

After five overs Green turned to their spin twins Mark Richards and Elliott Young who did not let them down with only 36 runs coming from their allotted 16 overs and the loss of three wickets, Richards finishing with 2-24 and Young 1-12.

Gareth Davies and George Wood started to put the Hayfield innings back on track before Davies was out for 40. Wood then dominated and when the innings closed on 199-6 he was unbeaten on 71.

The Green’s reply was all about one man, Sam Messih, the first wicket fell at 27 when Justin Blackhurst fell to a brilliant c & b by Gareth Davies and the second on 49 that of Peter Richards. The Green were to lose no more wickets as Messih and Jordan Henderson helped Green pass the Hayfield total with 18 overs to spare, Henderson closing on 37n.o. and Messih finishing with a magnificent 129n.o - his second century of the weekend.

Hawke Trophy semi finals


Old Glossop won the toss in their Hawke Trophy semi final against Dinting and elected to bowl.

Zach Goddard went on to make 43 and A Bleakly 33 in a total of 170-7.

Ivan Twist proved almost unplayable in his eight overs, taking 3-4 with seven maidens. In reply J Sagar made 38 and James Wright 40 as the home side reached their target for the loss of seven wickets, despite 3-28 from James Brotherton.


In the other semi-final, Woodley won the toss and invited Hawk Green to bat.

Hawk Green scored 191 all out in 38 overs. Craig Young scored 67 and A Littler 36. Phil Harris took 3-33 and Tom Bartlett 3-5 including four maidens. In reply Woodley were all out for 146 in 39 overs with DS Oldland scoring 41. Craig Young took 3-35 as Hawk Green won by 45 runs to progress through to the final.