Matt finishes with 7-3 for W&M 3rds

NDET 23-6-12 MC 22'Wirksworth and Middleton Cricket club - Paul Hind March
NDET 23-6-12 MC 22'Wirksworth and Middleton Cricket club - Paul Hind March
Share this article

W&M 1st XI beat Trentside 1st XI by 110 runs

WIRKSWORTH and Middleton 1sts continued their Division Three title challenge as they shrugged off the loss of an early wicket to set an imposing score of 247-4, their best of the season in fact.

A second-wicket partnership of 70 laid a solid foundation of which David Greatorex, promoting himself to open the batting, made 22.

Paul Hindmarch then joined Andy Malia-Barlow to take the score to a healthy 103-2 at the drinks interval. The latter was run out shortly afterwards for a very fine 54, an innings comprising 11 sweetly struck boundaries.

Then came the stand of the innings as Aafan Janjua, continuing his recent return to form, added 96 with Hindmarch, a highly responsible partnership, rotating the strike with comfortable singles while putting the loose deliveries to the boundary.

Hindmarch was eventually out for 51 while Janjua finished on 73 not out. They were two chanceless innings of quality batting against a pretty decent bowling attack.

After tea, Trentside’s openers saw off the early bowling with few alarms. They had reached 41, by which time Jimmy Redfern had joined the attack enjoying almost immediate success. He took the first three wickets to fall supported by a couple of very good catches.

Hindmarch then came on and got a fourth wicket to leave the visitors 74-4 at the interval. He took another afterwards before Jack Allen got a sixth wicket. Dinesh de Silva then rejoined the attack and took the last four wickets which included an entertaining duel with Trentside’s opening bowler Ben Tivey who looks a very wholehearted cricketer.

The match, sponsored by Tapton Estates, was concluded with 11 overs to spare. This Saturday the 1sts are at home again to A&B 2nds in what promises to be a lively, entertaining encounter.

Sawley & LE Park 3rd XI drew with W&M 2nd XI

This was rather a frustrating game for the 2nds in Division 7N but on a very good batting track three excellent individual innings and a reward of 17 points was a decent enough outcome. It has also lifted them into second place with two games in hand over the top side Heanor Town.

Continuing his recent fine run of form, James Thompson, opening the batting, made 62. Neil Taylor hit 21 and Tom Boylan a powerful 64. Later on, Jacob Bradbury, no doubt stung into action by brother Joe’s success with the ball (9-48 the previous week) hit a fine 52 not out as Ian Peacock shared in a productive stand with 21 not out. Captain David Hopkinson declared the innings after 44 overs giving the opposition two extra overs to go for the runs.

In the event, they showed little enthusiasm for the chase which, given their lowly position and the few points separating the bottom four clubs, was perhaps understandable but, alternatively, disappointing as well. Jack Currell took three wickets, James Brierley one and there was a run-out.

This week, the 2nds travel to Butterley. They have to be careful, Butterley having not won in their first 16 matches have now won two in succession, the second of them against Wingerworth, who were top. Meanwhile, this Saturday Heanor play Wingerworth and the following week the 2nds entertain Heanor. It should be season-defining couple of weeks for the 2nds.

W&M 3rd XI beat Clay Cross 3rd XI by 8 wickets

Matt Daldorph almost single-handedly wrecked the visitors’ batting to set up the 3rds’ 11th win of the season. To be fair, Clay Cross, having conceded the game against Codnor the previous week, at least managed to rustle up nine players but were not the strongest side the 3rds have faced this season.

On the other hand, with several absentees of their own, W&M didn’t field their best side either. None of this should detract from Daldorph’s efforts however. He bowled ten overs of pacy, accurate in-swing and took a remarkable 7-3.

Toby Howard picked up the other wicket.

W&M made short work of the reply, taking just 6.5 over about it, with Tim Shepherd scoring 18 not out.

One of the two wickets to fall was that of Beth Harwood, believed to be only the second time in the club’s history when a father and daughter have played in a senior match together.

The game finished at about 3.30pm, which quite probably means that W&M’s 3rds were the first team in all 18 divisions to top 300 points for the season.