Derwent triumph in a thrilling match

Derwent Seconds player Steve Shortland takes evasive action against Sikh Union Coventry.
Derwent Seconds player Steve Shortland takes evasive action against Sikh Union Coventry.

Derwent 2nds 4

Coventry Sikh Union 2nds 2

Derwent 2nds continued to enhance their reputation as the team to watch for entertainment and goalmouth action as they played out another high-scoring thriller on Saturday.

The Coventry Sikh Union team were expected to provide stiff opposition, having been relegated from the league above last season, and are expected by many to win promotion at the first attempt. However this was a determined Derwent side, with all 12 players putting in a heroic amount of effort and commitment.

The first half was fairly even, packed with goalmouth action and attacking verve. Coventry were showing just why they are many people’s tip for promotion with some incredible individual skills, but it was the Derwent teamwork and lightning quick counter attacks that began to put them in the ascendancy.

It was one such counter attack which lead to the opening goal, a quick break down the right put Andy Mac in behind the Coventry defence, and he rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home.

Coventry hit back almost immediately to make it 1-1.

Derwent pressed on and with wingers Ben Morton and Chris Pooley repeatedly getting in behind the Coventry full backs, and Andy Mac and Stevie Shortland giving their centre backs a torrid time, it was only a matter of time before they took the lead again.

Great play in the midfield from the tireless Max Morris created a huge hole in the Coventry defence, and when the ball was crossed Gary Shardlow scored.

A quickly taken free hit inside the Derwent 25 led to the visitors being awarded a short corner, duly dispatched into the bottom corner of the Derwent goal, ending an entertaining first half.

Marcus Frasier who’d come off the bench midway through the first half, really took hold of the game after the break and his aggressive running and tackling was causing the Coventry team no end of problems.

With the Coventry side dropping deeper and deeper Derwent were creating chances at will, and it came as no surprise when Gary Shardlow scored his second goal of the game.

Derwent then had an Andy Mac goal controversially disallowed following a full ten minutes of protests from the visitors.

The Derwent players took the decision in good grace and immediately set about scoring a fourth goal with Mac fittingly being the player to get it, to round off a satisfying win.