Hitmen find going tough in the rain

Ben Taylor of Buxton Hitmen
Ben Taylor of Buxton Hitmen

The rain came to the rescue last Saturday night for the Buxton Hitmen at the second leg of the Knockout Cup away at Stoke.

The meeting got off to a late start due to power failures at the stadium, when it finally got underway the Potters were clearly ready for action and got four successive 5-1 scores in the bag before the two Hitmen, Richie Worrall, who was guesting for the injured Ben Taylor, and Luke Priest rode out ready to claw back the points in an exciting heat five.

Unfortunately, due to the heavy rain affecting the track conditions, the hard riding between Priest and Stoke rider Gareth Isherwood ended with the latter finishing up in the air fence. The race came to a stop.

However, before there was a re-run, the persistent heavy rain meant the meeting was called to a close and will have to be restaged. The Hitmen who were without two of their top riders on the night were always going to struggle against such a strong team like Stoke.

The Hitmen number one rider Ben Taylor suffered ligament damage to his leg on Monday night at Newport and will be out of speedway action for the next couple of weeks. Buxton’s other top scorer, Robert Branford, who also rides for premier league club Redcar, was unable to race due to a fixture at Leicester.

The momentum was low in the pits after the meeting but Hitmen promoter Jayne Moss said: “We really need to take tonight as a lesson. We are lucky to have a second shot at this and we are going to have to get our heads together and sort out the problems which are losing us the points.”

Team manager Jack Lee added: “We were spoilt last year with the three trophies and the winning team we had, but this is a new season and we have lads who are capable of getting in the big points. They just need to start doing it before it’s too late”.

The score was 20-4 to Buxton before the meeting was abandoned. As yet, there is no restaging date.