Matlock Baileans V beaten by Staveley

Doncaster Hockey Club round-up
Doncaster Hockey Club round-up

Matlock Baileans V were beaten 3-1 by Staveley II on Saturday.

The visitors hit the front after just three minutes followinga good opening.

The early pressure definitely came from the opposition, but the traffic wasn’t all one way.

The sweeper, Steph Campey, controlled the defence and ensured that Netty Reddish, Sarah English and Jess Lamb were well placed to intercept incoming shots. Their hard work was rewarded as they pushed play back into midfield.

Once the midfielders got hold of the ball the game became much more even as Lamb moved the ball onto Helen Henley, who battled down the right sideline to link with Janice Bush on the forward line.

Netty’s powerful shots down the left allowed Rachel Hall and Lauren Craven to link play together from one end of the pitch to the other.

Liz English and Lucy Knowles covered the centre ground and they made sure that they kept the ball out wide and disrupted the Staveley attacks.

Skillful stick work from Henley saw the ball travel to Bush, who sped towards the top of the Staveley D and belted the ball towards the goal.

The ball lifted and shot towards the top left hand corner. At the last moment a defender raised their stick to try to stop the ball.

Fortunately for Matlock the defender just helped the ball on its way into the back of the goal to level the game.

Play swiftly switched back to the other end of the pitch and Staveley were awarded a penalty corner.

The Matlock defence was taken by surprise as the first shot sailed into the air from a scoop and landed in the back of the goal.

Staveley’s third goal came from a tight angle and the ball slipped into the goal through a tiny gap by the right hand post for a 3-1 lead at the break.

But Matlock battled their way through the second half of the game. Charlotte Clayton, the Matlock keeper, had a great game and made some excellent saves.

The super subs Sally Bradbury and Sky Usher made sure that players could take a few minutes out to rest.

Usher dropped seamlessly into the defence and Sally came close to scoring.

The team was pleased to play the second half without conceding another goal and the 3-1 score line was much better than the first meeting in September.