Matlock get final day lesson from Old Northamptonians

Ben Neville (centre) attempts to make progress during the defeat to Old Northamptonians at Cromford Meadows.
Ben Neville (centre) attempts to make progress during the defeat to Old Northamptonians at Cromford Meadows.

Matlock suffered a disappointing end to the season as Old Northamptonians romped to a 52-0 victory at a sun-drenched Cromford Meadows on Saturday.

The hosts had seen their promotion chances evaporate the previous week, and although Northamptonians had a shout of a play-off spot beforehand, Ilkeston’s emphatic win over Spalding meant they secured second spot instead.

In the end, the visitors ran home eight tries, five of them in the second-half, as they ended the season in fourth spot with Matlock dropping to sixth behind Towcestrians.

Northamptonians’ first try came when they won a scrum against the head and Richard Blank eventually went over to score the opener.

A mazy run from Matlock’s top try scorer Henri Packard nearly had the home side on the scoreboard but he lost possession and from the counter ONs raced forward for Alex Rose to score and then add the extras.

ONs scored their third when the ball found Dan Napier to step inside and touch down under the posts for a 19-0 half-time lead.

It was 26-0 early in the second-half when Chris McKee added another, and with the visitors now dominating Rose scored his second try soon afterwards.

Matt Love touched down following Rory Seymour’s pass for the next, and Matlock were then powerless to stop captain Rhys Hughes beat several tackles to score the seventh ONs try.

The final nail in Matlock’s coffin came when McKee rounded off the scoring when he picked up one of many spilled passes from the home side.

Matlock pounded the ONs line late on looking for a consolation, but it was to no avail and a disappointing end to the season was confirmed.

l Saturday’s defeat completed a bad week for Matlock, with a 22-14 defeat in the NLD Final against Nottingham side Paviors having occurred just three days beforehand in a match played at Mansfield RFC.