Rugby Union: Buxton post convincing opening day win

Buxton Rugby Club's Sunnyfields ground
Buxton Rugby Club's Sunnyfields ground

Buxton RUFC followed up the previous week’s win, against Chesterfield in the Cup, with a 25-7 win away at Linley & Kidsgrove in their league opener.

Buxton kicked off and in the same style as last week, put immense pressure on the home side, and within minutes they were awarded a penalty in front of Linley’s posts. Summerfield kicked the points and Buxton led 3-0.

Straight from the restart the visitors went on the attack again, with some great work from the back row of Ian Scott, Tom Fentem and Ben Austin but with a solid Linley defence, Buxton couldn’t find a way to the try-line.

Much of the first half was an exchange of forward play between the two sides, and with both teams cancelling each other out, the game went in at the break still at 3-0.

Buxton had a reshuffle during the interval bringing on Oli Golden into the back-row and Darren Wilson into the centre.

This seemed to add a little more pace into the game and soon after the break saw Buxton’s Ryan Mccoy securing some great lineout ball, allowing Golden to break through the defence and touch down. The conversion was added to make it 10-0.

Buxton’s scrum was under pressure all afternoon, but the front quintet of Davis, Rees, Rabbits, McCoy and Storer held firm setting up a platform for Golden to break and pass to Anisley Armstrong, who powered around the outside and touched down in the corner.

Linley restarted the game and put pressure on, with their forwards crashing at the Buxton backline. After a brutal ten minute spell the home side finally found a gap through the defence and their fly half ran in under the posts.

Trying to close the game out, Buxton’s half-backs forced the home team back into their 22 with some good territory kicking.

This led to Buxton’s third and final try of the match again from Armstrong, finding himself some room out wide to run in a great try before Summmerfield added the extras.