Rowsley 86 and Town Reserves in great form

Action from Matlock Town CFA (in blue) v Matlock United
Action from Matlock Town CFA (in blue) v Matlock United

Midlands Regional Alliance Round-up

Rowsley 86 stay top of the Midlands Regional Alliance Premier Division by two points after goals from Tim Baker, Liam Hallam, and Ben Harrison helped them to a 3-1 victory over Tibshelf.

Cromford remain unbeaten in second after a 5-0 away win at Little Eaton, whilst Young striker Callum Lytham bagged a hat-trick for Wirksworth Town, with Carl Moore and Scott Wright also on the scoresheet for the hosts as they ran out 5-1 winners over Sandiacre Town

Wirksworth Ivanhoe were beaten 3-2 at Pastures and remain third from bottom.

Sherwin increased their lead at the top of Division Two after Richard Naylor and Stephen Page scored in a 2-1 win at Ambergate, with Josh Aldred replying for the hosts.

A number of clubs were involved in Challenge Cup action at the weekend.

A local derby at Cavendish Fields saw Matlock United triumph 5-1 over Matlock Town CFA.

Andrew Boyack (2), Jack Walden (2), and Callum Gill were on target for the victors, with Marcus Beddoe netting an early goal for CFA.

Rowsley 86 Reserves progressed after a 4-0 win at Punjab United with Noah Evans, Daniel Maskrey and Matthew Windsor amongst the goals.

Wirksworth Town Reserves were comfortably beaten 5-0 at Shirebrook Rangers.

Central Midlands League

A David Awomolo strike a minute from time kept Matlock Town Reserves’ 100 per cent record intact despite a below-par performance at the Autoworld Arena in a 3-2 win over Dunkirk.

The lads started brightly with an early header from Matt Wilkinson cleared off the line and Jack Siddall’s effort well saved before two defensive errors in seven minutes brought the game to life.

First Dave Edge’s strong running and persistence blocked a clearance from the Dunkirk keeper with the ball ballooning up in to the air for Matt Andrews to head the ball into the net from 12 yards.

It was all square on 29 minutes when Marco Taaffe uncharacteristically failed to collect a high ball cleanly, leaving Alex Elliker to drive the ball home.

The second-half started in a controversial fashion when referee Steve Wilman awarded Dunkirk a penalty, Alex Meehan converting the spot kick.

With 30 minutes left Wilkinson headed Matlock level, Dunkirk then losing a player injured leaving them with ten men for the remainder.

Then, with time running out, sub Callum Featherstone beat a full-back and pulled the ball back from the byline to Awolomo who made no mistake from ten yards.