Rowsley go five clear by hitting Ivanhoe for six

Midlands Regional Alliance

With closest rivals Cromford and Melbourne Dynamo both left kicking their heels at the weekend, Rowsley ’86 took full advantage to extend their lead at the top of the Midlands Regional Alliance Premier Division to five points.

Chris Baker’s men made light work of a potentially tricky trip to Wirksworth Ivanhoe, winning 6-1 courtesy of goals from Ben Harrison (2), Sam Hoskin (2), Aaron O’Neill and Tim Baker, with Joe Brough’s solitary strike providing scant consolation to the hosts.

In the MRA Challenge Cup, the all-Premier Division tie between Chellaston and Wirksworth Town ended in an away victory, with Town taking a 3-1 win despite hosts Chellaston opening the scoring.

Matlock United remain third after Andrew Boyack (2), Tony Charlton (2), Michael Cartwright and Ben Chamberlain helped them to a 6-1 win at home to Ripley Town, whilst Rowsley ’86 Reserves who won 5-0 at Wirksworth Town Reserves thanks to goals from Connor Hiley (2), Nathan Moore, Jason Williams and Matthew Windsor.

In Division Two, Matlock Town CFA took a narrow 3-2 from their trip to Willington Sport.

Slovakian star Miroslav Kurtak gave the visitors the lead with a neat finish from a inch perfect Alex Lacey free-kick in the first half.

That scoreline remained well into the second-half with chances for both sides until James Byard distributed a great ball to Michael Lettall out wide on the right and his cut back found Kurtak in perfect position to double his tally and make it ten for the season.

Lacey was again involved in the CFA third as Jake Gascoigne drilled home with perfect precision to make it three.

Willington grabbed two late goals to add to the tension, including a somewhat dubious penalty, but the final whistle secured another CFA away day victory and three valuable points.

Man of the Match went to Tim Summer for another solid performance at centre half.

Central Midlands League

After winning nine league games in a row this season, Matlock Town Reserves were finally denied maximum points by Radford FC Reserves in an entertaining game at the Autoworld Arena.

The pitch was passed fit following an early morning inspection and the Gladiators started brightly with Jack Siddall and Dec Jenkins prominent in the early exchanges.

However, Matlock fell behind after seven minutes when a cross from the right was deflected passed the home custodian via a Matlock head.

Showing no lack of adventure the pacy Radford front three were creating problems for the home defence with centre forward Rubben Nkuna shooting over when well placed and Marco Taaffe in the Gladiators goal preventing Radford from doubling the lead with an excellent save.

The Gladiators equalised after 53 minutes when an exquisite 30 yard pass from Matt Wilkinson found Jenkins bearing down on goal and despite the close attention of the Radford full back the Matlock man found the net.

Buoyed by the goal the Gladiators were now on the offensive and increasing the tempo with Radford relying on occasional breaks in to the Gladiators half and with minutes remaining Siddall was unlucky when his shot was turned on to the post by the Radford keeper and the points were ultimately shared, although Matlock remain 12 points clear at the top.