Statham hits two as Cromford go second

Midlands Regional Alliance


Cromford – for whom Alex Statham (2) and Ady Kershaw were on target in a 3-1 win over Tibshelf – are up to second place in the Premier Division table, two points behind leaders Rowsley ’86 who were out of action last weekend.

A solitary goal from Michael Tristram was enough for Melbourne Dynamo to see off Wirksworth Town.

Rowsley ’86 Reserves remain eight points adrift of top spot in Division One despite a 7-0 win over Shirebrook Rangers. Connor Hiley (2), Tim Baker (2), Billy Lester, James Wood and Matthew Windsor got the goals for Rowsley.

Daniel Bridge, Callum Gill and Graham Whysal were on target in Matlock United’s 3-2 win over AFC Rocester, while Wirksworth Town Reserves and Bargate Rovers were deadlocked a one goal apiece, Gareth Bates netting Wirksworth’s goal.

The majority of Division Two were in Challenge Cup action.

Matlock Town CFA thumped Bargate Rovers Reserves 10-1 to progress to the next round in style.

Sam Kelly hit a hat-trick, there were two goals each for Marcus Beddoe, Alex Lacey and Ashley Roberts while James Byard hit the other.

Ambergate were heavily beaten 7-1 at Chesterfield Town, Ryan Walters with Ambergate’s goal.

Central Midlands League

Matlock Town Reserves went goal crazy in the CMFL Supreme Reserves Division as they romped to a 9-0 victory at Graham St Prims Reserves.

With their confidence high after four successive wins the Gladiators pushed forward straight from the kick-off and after just three minutes a Dave Edge header was cleared off the line by a Prims defender.

However, with both sides struggling to settle, passion and honest endeavour were in abundant supply but nothing for the football purist.

The Gladiators finally took the lead after 17 minutes when Matt Wilkinson threaded the ball inside the full-back to debutant David Awolomo who from a tight angled curled the ball into the far corner of the net.

Within two minutes Edge was put through on goal by the impressive Wilkinson and beat the keeper with a firm drive into the bottom left hand corner.

Route one followed when keeper Marco Taaffe collected a Prims inswinging corner and hoisted the ball to lone striker Wilkinson, but with the bench calling for the striker to hold the ball up, he chose to go alone, outpacing two defenders before scuffing his shot towards the far post where Awolomo picked up the pieces to give Matlock a 3-0 half-time lead.

After 55 minutes Awolomo spotted Ollie Walden’s surging run who in turn gave Edge the simplest of chances which he took to make it 4-0.

Five minutes later Wilkinson got another with a shot from inside the 18 yard box which deflected off the head of a Prims defender and into the far corner.

Minutes later Prims finally had an opportunity to score but were thwarted by a fine save to his right by Taaffe.

With the midfield trio of Jack Wynn, Awolomo and Wilkinson dominating the midfield, Prims were struggling to put attacks together and inevitably more goals followed with Abe Prom profiting from an astute pass to slide the ball in to the net, Wilkinson scoring a tap in, Regan Cooper sending in a half volley which screamed past the keeper and Walden netting from close in to finish the scoring.

Whilst the score correctly reflected a competent display a sterner test is to come this week at Teversal FC who lie just two points behind Matlock.