Tintwistle prevail in Bissenden Cup final

Hawk Green took on Tintwistle CC in the flagship cup competition of the PS Derbyshire & Cheshire Cricket League at Mottram CC.

Tintwistle skipper Martyn Knight won the toss and elected to bat against a strong looking Hawk Green side.

Richard Harris and Matt Robinson opened the batting for Tintwistle and made an excellent start against the bowling of M Hudson and Pete Richards.

They took the score to 67 before the introduction of spin caused the momentum to shift for the first time.

First Mark Richards accounted for Robinson for 15, before Jordan Henderson had Harris bowled for 42 and Martyn Knight (0) LBW with the score still on 67.

Tintwistle continued to tick the score along but were never allowed to get away, losing wickets regularly with Henderson collecting his second to finish with figures of 2-20 when he removed D Weatherhead for 21.

Kieran Davies chipped in with 17 before he became the returning Pete Richards’ first victim, ahead of Si Barrow (13) and James Pool (0) as Richards (3-24) and Lee Hallas (2-22) produced fine bowling to limit Tintwistle to 154-9 from their 40 overs.

Hawk Green were probably confident of chasing their target at the resumption, but lost Justin Blackhurst for four runs early on.

Sam Messih was joined by Richards and they added 44 for the second wicket before Messih was run out for 14 attempting a suicidal second run.

Henderson then lost Richards (26) as he was caught behind off the bowling of Robinson.

The story of the first innings was then repeated as regular wickets halted any momentum in the run chase.

However, while Henderson was at the crease and scoring well Hawk Green still looked to have a chance, even as Si Barrow accounted for B Cartledge and Jason Downey in the same over, both out LBW.

Hudson joined Henderson at the wicket and a mixture of positive running and well timed fours kept Hawk Green up with the rate.

However, their 50 partnership was ended when Henderson lofted a drive to long off and was dismissed for 57.

Hudson and Mark Richards then took the chase to within five of victory before Hudson was run out, bringing L Curtis to the crease.

When the pair attempted a risky second and the bails were removed, there was an agonising wait before the umpire’s finger was raised to signal a Tintwistle victory by the slimmest of margins as Hawk Green fell just short on 152 all out.